Saturday, May 18, 2013

Welcome Aboard

Choosing a title for a blog is really dang hard. I've come up with all sorts of clever names for a blog about books and writing, only to discover that they are all taken. Finally I gave up and copped out with a movie quote.

The title of my blog, Nothing Is Written Unless You Write It, comes from my favorite movie, Lawrence of Arabia. After discovering that a man had drifted away in the desert, Lawrence goes to rescue him, refusing to believe that the man's death "is written" as Prince Feisal and Sherif Ali believe. Upon Lawrence's return with the (living) man, Lawrence declares that "nothing is written," and Sherif Ali concedes that "for some men, nothing is written unless they write it."

Besides being incredibly moving in the world of the movie, it's also true for literature. Nothing is written until we write it. We owe our literary heritage to people who put the pen to paper. This blog will celebrate those people who choose to write, and the treasures they give us.

What exactly this blog will end up being will probably be up to my whim and fancy, but one thing I want to predominate is book reviews and discussions. These will be pretty cool because there will be a part for people who have read the book and a part for people who haven't. Maybe I'll also include some things about my own journey as a writer. Who knows? At any rate... welcome to my blog! I hope you stick around!



No comments:

Post a Comment